The CA Office of Business and Economic Development "CalGold" Permit Assistant website link below assists you in finding appropriate permit information for your business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer & issue these permits. (If you do not find your business type listed simply enter the words "General Business Information" and select a City or County and click on Search).
- Monterey County Planning Department - A permit maybe required depending on the zoning district within which the property is located and the type of use proposed
- Monterey County Building Services Department - Building permits and fire protection district approvals are required for most construction work and change of use.
- Monterey County Environmental Health - The Monterey County Health Department, Environmental Health Division requires permits for a variety of businesses including restaurants and automotive shops.
- Fort Ord Reuse Authority
- Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- Fictitious Business License
- Business Licenses
State and Regional Resources
- California Coastal Rural Development Corporation
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development: Permit Assistance
- Franchise Tax Board
- State Board of Equalization
- Secretary of State – California Business Portal
- Employment Development Department
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Contractors State License Board
- Alcoholic Beverage Control
California Chamber of Commerce
Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Salinas Valley Chamber of Commerce
Carmel Chamber of Commerce
Central California Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Marina Chamber of Commerce
Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
North Monterey Chamber of Commerce
Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce
Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce
Seaside and Sand City Chamber of Commerce
United Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
California Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
California Black Chamber of Commerce
California Asian Chamber of Commerce
U.S. Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce
Where to Find a Business License
There are some businesses in the County of Monterey in the unincorporated areas of the County that do require a business license to conduct business. Currently, a business license is only required for commercial cannabis businesses.
A business license is an annual license issued by the Monterey County Treasurer-Tax Collector for the privilege of conducting business within the unincorporated area of Monterey County. The purpose of a business license is to provide for necessary regulation of certain lawful businesses being conducted, in the interest of the public health, safety, and welfare of the people of the county. On December 13, 2016, the Monterey County Board of Supervisors adopted Monterey County Code, Section 7.002. This section requires a business license, effective April 1, 2017, for specified businesses being conducted within unincorporated Monterey County. (See Treasurer-Tax Collector web-site).
Cities within the County of Monterey require the purchase of a business license on an annual basis. Below are links to each City’s office of Business Licenses.
California Association for Micro Enterprise Opportunity (CAMEO)
Monterey Bay Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
Institute for Innovation and Economic Development
Monterey County Business Council Competitive Clusters Initiative
Monterey County Business Council (MCBC)
Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau
Monterey County Film Commission
Market Research and Other Planning Resources
U. S. Census
American Community Survey (ACS)
2007 Economic Census
2009 County Business Patterns
Local Employment Dynamics
Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Resources for Business Leaders
Center for Economic Development California State University Chicowww.cedcal.com
Information for Locating a Business in Monterey County
The County Economic Development Department is here to help with your relocation, expansion or just keeping your business going. We have a variety of services and informational resources to new companies get start or to make a move a smooth and successful one. See the following links below:
Site Selection Services - Monterey Bay Economic Partnership
Monterey County Planning Department
Monterey County Building Services Department
Monterey County Environmental Health
Fort Ord Reuse Authority
City Economic Development Departments
Del Rey Oaks
- PG&E On-Bill Financing for Energy Efficiency Upgrades
- AMBAG Energy Watch Program for Agricultural Energy Efficiency
- AMBAG Energy Watch Business Energy Efficiency Program
- Central Coast CalRecycling Market Development Zone Loan Program Website
- CalRecycling Market Development Zone Program Resources for Manufacturers
- CalRecycling Market Development Business Resources
- Federal Business Energy Resource Listings
Flex Your Power
Energy efficiency and conservation information for business and consumers in California. Find incentives/rebates, technical assistance, retailers, product guides, case studies and more
Go Solar California!
Incentives for businesses that implement solar technologies.
Consumer Energy Center : Energy Choices at Work
Read about ways to make commercial buildings more energy efficiency to cut costs, improve comfort, and provide a more sustainable future.
California Appliances Database
Downloadable database of all appliances currently certified to the California Energy Commission by their manufacturers as meeting currently-applicable efficiency standards.
California Financial Incentives for Renewables and Energy Efficiency
Find state and local financial incentives that promote the implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency upgrades.