HOW DO I?
10:00 AMPostpartum Support Group
Protection from Wildfire Smoke Inhalation
California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith is advising residents where wildfires have been burning, along with people in the smoke’s path, to stay indoors and reduce outdoor activity.
Family and Food Safety First this Thanksgiving
Eating healthy this Thanksgiving begins with basic home food safety practices that are known to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses. The Monterey County Health Department is reminding all cooks entering the kitchen this season to follow the Fight BAC!® basics of home food safety: Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill.
TRUTH Act presentation
Monterey County Supervisors will hold a special meeting for a TRUTH Act presentation December 11th.
11/9/2018 3:18:54 PM
Special Events Waste Diversion for Monterey County
Each year, Monterey County hosts a number of events that draw large crowds from all over the world, including the world famous MotoGP and Sea Otter Classic. Recycling Services requires that all special events submit a diversion plan.
Recycling Services assists event organizers to develop and implement their diversion plans to ensure the proper disposal of waste and to maximize the recycling of materials used at these events. The team also collaborates with Monterey County Parks Department, the hauler, custodial services, event volunteers, event organizers, vendors, attendees, and other staff to identify ways to increase diversion at special events.
A large event is defined as:
- Serves an average of more than 2,000 individuals per day of operation, and
- Charges an admission price or is run by a local agency.
To find an upcoming special event, please visit Monterey County Parks Department Event Calendar:
(click on image to visit site)
Policies and Procedures
- AB 939- requires local jurisdictions to meet 50% waste diversion mandate
- AB 341- requires commercial businesses to implement recycling
- AB2176- (AB 2176, Montanez, Chapter 879, Statutes of 2004), the large venues and large events recycling law, requires large venue facilities and large events (as defined by Public Resources Code 42648 (b) and (c)) in each city and county to plan for solid waste reduction and upon request, report information regarding their waste reduction efforts to their local jurisdiction
- Special Events Recycling Manual (Coming Soon!)
- Sample Diversion Plan